Travelers can now stay connected during their trips, as Intercontinental Hotels Group offers complimentary internet for all loyalty program members with or without a hotel booking and/or qualifying stay. When Priority Club announced its rebranding as IHG, they began the transition with complimentary internet. Elite members were granted free internet around the world in 2013. In 2014, the group extended that to include hotel properties abroad for IHG all reward members.
What’s more, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn Hotels and Resorts in North America, Candlewood and Staybridge, offer free high-speed internet access in every guest room to all patrons as part of their amenities.
There are no special registrations, deposits, or fees. Just check-in, and then log in. Even visitors in the hotel lobbies will have free and unlimited access to the location’s internet.
These additions affect more than 4600 locations, making IHG the biggest group to offer this sort of agreement to its patrons. IHG’s reward program is also the industry’s largest. There are approximately 71 million people in the program, and these changes put IHG ahead of competitors. Other major chains like the Hilton, still only offer free internet to members with higher status.
What this means
IHG partners are counting on these changes to make customers happy. Since their rivals continue to charge for what is considered a basic amenity, this makes patrons more likely to be attracted by IHG’s offers. Guests, particularly the younger, technological generation, are accustomed to having public locations where wifi is free, and other essentials are readily available.
With free wifi access in lobbies, restaurants, bars, and cafes, even visitors who do not intend to stay overnight in the hotel will be drawn to the hotel’s amenity.
Why it matters
When researching and choosing a hotel, many patrons will often refuse to stay in a hotel that does not offer free internet; it is one of the most common factors customers consider when selecting a place to stay, particularly when those customers are travelling business people. As mobile technology has become standard for nearly all travelers, not offering free high-speed internet for guests leaves hotels behind the times. Guests have made this clear in hotel reviews; complaints about a hotel’s lack of free internet are some of the most common.
Terms and Conditions
Standard internet access will be available to all IHG® Rewards Club members at no additional cost at all IHG hotels located globally with or without a hotel booking and/or qualifying stay. Internet availability in common areas varies by hotel. Internet accessibility, speed, and connectivity in common areas and guest rooms vary by hotel. Details regarding a property’s internet accessibility are available at the hotel’s registration desk. Please note that The Venetian® and The Palazzo®, an InterContinental Alliance® Resort, do not offer the Free Internet Access benefit, which is instead included in the daily resort fee.
Have any further questions or comments? Contact IHG Customer Care.
|Credit Cards||Purchase APR||Transfer Info||Annual Fee||Credit Level|
|IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card|| |
|Good To Excellent CreditLearn MoreView Card Details|
- Earn 125,000 bonus points plus a Reward Night after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Enjoy a Reward Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn up to 25 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®