A credit score is a number that is calculated based on your credit history to give lenders a simpler “lend/reject” answer for people who are applying for credit or loans. This number helps the lender identify the level of risk they may be taking if they lend to someone. Although there are several scoring methods, the score most commonly used by lenders is known as a FICO because of its origins with Fair Isaac and Company. Fair Isaac is an independent company that came up with the scoring method and software used by banks and lenders, insurers and other businesses. Each of the three major credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax and TransUnion) worked with Fair Isaac in the early 1980’s to come up with the scoring method.
Your credit score is calculated in a weighted formula. It uses the information in your credit report. The number itself can range from 300 to 900. The formula for exactly how the score is calculated is proprietary information and owned by Fair Isaac.
In most instances, you need to pay to see your own credit scores. But a few credit cards offer their card members free access to credit scores and reports. In addition, some credit monitoring services also offer free credit scores and reports.
- Get your Experian Credit Report and FICO® Score* for free
- Experian BoostTM helps by giving you extra credit for the utility and mobile phone bills you're already paying.
- Experian Boost is completely free and can increase your credit score fast by using your own positive payment history. It can also help those with poor or limited credit situations.
- Report and Score updated every 30 days on sign in
- Instantly increase your credit scores with Experian Boost™
- Daily Experian credit monitoring and alerts
- Get your Free Credit Report from Experian
- No credit card required
- Checking your Credit Report regularly can help you make good financial decisions and detect signs of identity theft early.
- See your latest credit information that lenders see when requesting your credit.
- Get an updated Experian Credit Report every 30 days when you sign into your account.
- Free credit monitoring. Monitor your Experian Credit Report daily with alert notifications when key changes occur.
- Review and correct inaccuracies on your Experian Credit Report for free.
- Get the savings plan that helps build credit today! No checking account or security deposit required.
- Choose the amount you want to save and make monthly payments towards your savings goal.
- Monthly payments are reported to the three major credit bureaus.
- For Example: A $545.00 Credit builder account, paid 12 times over one year would have a monthly payment of $48.00, and an Annual Percentage Rate of 15.65%.
- What's your credit score? Receive your Experian Credit Report & FICO® Score for $1 with enrollment in a 7-day free trial of Experian CreditWorksSM
- Experian.com is the leading provider of online consumer credit reports, credit scores, and credit monitoring.
- Checking your own credit report will NOT lower your score
- Review your credit report for potential inaccuracies
- Toll-free support available 7 days a week
- Fast and easy