The IHG® Rewards Club is the world’s first loyalty program, and allows members to earn points at over 4,900 InterContinental Hotels Group hotels worldwide. IHG members can accumulate points through hotel stays, rewards partners and credit card purchases. IHG also has another reward program called the InterContinental Ambassador program valid only at Intercontinental hotels ($200 annual membership fee).
You need to join the IHG Rewards Club program to start earning IHG points, which is easy and free. Once you are a member, you have the option to earn either Rewards points or airlines miles; the program defaults to points. If you wish to switch to earning miles, go to your online profile under My Account and select your preferred airline and provide your frequent flyer program number. You can switch to and from earning points to miles at any time.
How do I earn IHG® Rewards points
Earn IHG Rewards Points from Hotel Stays
How many IHG Rewards Points do I earn per night? The number of Reward points you earn varies by IHG hotel brand. As an IHG Rewards Club member (basic level), you can earn 10 base points per eligible $1 USD spent at all InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Hualuxe, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn Express, Holiday Inn Club Vacations, and Even Hotels; earn 5 base points per eligible $1 USD spent at all Staybridge and Candlewood Suites; and earn 2.5 base points per eligible $1 USD on all qualified room rates and incidental expenditures for stays at The Residence Suites Dubai F.C. or Asiana Reside Saigon Residences.
When you reach Gold Elite status, you will earn a 10% bonus on base points for stays. When you reach Platinum Elite status, you will earn a 50% bonus on base points for stays.
Earn IHG Rewards Points with Meeting Rewards
IHG Meeting Rewards allows meeting planners to earn 3 points per $1 USD spent on qualifying meetings at over 3,800 IHG hotels worldwide. Active meeting planners receive Gold Elite status after hosting 1 qualified meeting, or Platinum Elite status when hosting 2 or more qualified meetings in a calendar year.
Earn IHG Rewards Points from Rewards Partners
You can also earn rewards points through IHG’s rewards partners: ANA partner hotels, Avis, Budget, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Diners Club, e-Rewards, Flying Blue, GroundLink, Hertz, Share Forever, and more.
For example, Chase Ultimate Rewards points can be transferred to IHG Rewards Club points at full 1:1 value, that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 IHG Rewards Club points. Chase Ultimate Rewards points can be accumulated with Chase Sapphire PreferredSM, Ink PlusSM, Ink BoldSM. Once transferred, points can be redeemed for stays at any of IHG’s 4,500 properties and resorts, worldwide.
Also, Diners Club card members who are enrolled in Club Rewards can transfer their points into IHG Rewards Club points. You can earn 1,500 IHG® Rewards Club points for transferring 1,250 Club Rewards points.
Earn Extra Rewards Points from the IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card
With the IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card, you can skip the wait and immediately enjoy automatic Platinum Elite status. The Card is offering 60,000 Bonus Points after you spend $1,000 on purchases on your first 3 months with the Card. You can also earn 5 points per dollar spent on stays at IHG hotels, 2 points per dollar on grocery store, gas stations, and restaurant purchases, and 1 point per dollar on everyday purchases. There is no introductory annual fee the first year, and thereafter it becomes $49, which is offset by the annual free night stay at any hotel you receive just by being a cardmember.
How do I earn airline miles through IHG Rewards Club?
IHG® Rewards Club members have the option to switch to earning miles at any time. To change your earning preferences, you can sign into your IHG® Rewards Club account, go to Account Status and select to earn airline miles. You will need to know your preferred miles program, as well as your member number with that program. The earning and exchange rates vary per miles program; some programs exchange at a dollar rate, while other programs exchange with a flat rate per qualifying stay.
What are the participating airlines?
- Aeroflot Bonus
- Aeromexico Club Premier
- Aeroplan (Air Canada)
- Air China – PhoenixMiles
- Air France – Flying Blue
- AIR MILES®
- Air New Zealand Airports
- Airberlin Topbonus
- Alaska Airlines
- Alitalia MilleMiglia
- All Nippon Airways
- American Airlines AAdvantage®
- Asia Miles
- Asiana Airlines
- British Airways
- China Eastern
- China Southern Airlines
- Delta SkyMiles
- El Al Israle Airlines
- Etihad Airways
- Gulf Air
- Hainan Airlines
- Hawaii Airlines
- Japan Airlines
- Jet Airways
- JetBlue TrueBlue
- Malaysia Airlines
- Qantas Airlines
- Saudi Arabian Airliens
- Singapore Airlines
- South African Airways
- TAP Air Portugal
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus
- United Airlines
- US Airways
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- Virgin Australia Velocity
Read More: How to Earn Airline Miles with IHG Rewards
Are Rewards points and miles interchangeable?
IHG® Rewards Points can be converted to airline miles from one of IHG’s 50 airline partners. They must be converted at a 10,000-point minimum, and in increments of 1,000 points. When miles are transferred to a frequent flyer account, both accounts must be under the same name. If you are converting already-earned points to airline miles, the posting time of frequent flyer miles varies by airline and can take up to six weeks to be credited to your frequent flyer account. Currently, airline miles cannot be converted into IHG® Rewards Club points.
The Fine Print
- IHG® Rewards Points are earned for stays beginning with the date of your enrollment in the program. Points will be awarded only for qualifying room rates booked through IHG central reservation offices, IHG web sites, IHG travel agents, or directly at the hotel; you cannot earn points when booking on third-party sites.
- IHG® Rewards Club members will not earn points during a stay or retroactively on any reservations booked through Online Travel Agencies.
- Only one room will be credited per member per night, except at U.S. and Canadian hotels (except InterContinental), you can collect for all eligible charges for multiple hotel rooms (less than 10), if they are in the same hotel. Make sure to provide your IHG® Rewards Club membership number during reservation and hotel check-in.
- There are two types of points, elite qualifying points and non-elite qualifying points. Only elite qualifying points count towards achieving elite status; these points are earned through paying for hotel stays and spending with partner vendors. Non-elite qualifying points are promotional points, purchased points, and transferred points, which can still cover free nights and other award purchases, but will not be counted towards elite qualification.
- As of January 2015, the newest brand, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants does not participate in the rewards program.
For details, refer to the IHG Rewards Club Global Membership Terms & Conditions.