The Marriott Rewards Program topped the latest US News & World Report’s list of best hotel rewards program for the third year in a row. It’s not just the luxury hotels that earn you points; affordable brands such as Fairfield Inn, SpringHill Suites, and Residence Inn will also earn you points as you enjoy your stay with family.
As a program member, you have several ways to earn Marriott rewards points. You can earn rewards points at participating Marriott hotel brands and Ritz-Carlton hotels throughout the world. You can also earn additional rewards points through Marriott’s rewards partners or by using Marriott Rewards Premier Visa credit card, you can even earn points by referring a friend.
How many Marriott points can I earn per night?
The number of Rewards points you earn varies by Marriott hotel brands. Also, not all the purchases made during a stay qualify for earning points. For some of the hotels, you only earn points on room rates. As a basic member, you can earn:
- 10 points for every dollar spent on all qualifying charges at Marriott hotels and higher-end brands such as JW Marriott, Renaissance, Marriott Vacation Club, and Autograph Collection. The qualifying charges may include room rates, room service food and beverage, in-room movies, phone calls and in-room minibar purchases, spa treatments, and dining at Marriott hotels.
- 10 points for every dollar spent on your room rate only at Marriott affiliated brands like Ritz-Carlton, Edition, Moxy, Springfield Suites, Protea Hotels, AC Hotels, Fairfield Inn & Suites, Gaylord Hotels, and Courtyard Marriott.
- 5 points for every dollar spent on your room rate only at Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites properties.
When you reach Silver Elite status, you receive a 20% bonus on points for stays, thus earning:
- 12 points for every dollar spent on rooms and services at the previously mentioned, higher-end brands.
- 12 points for your room rate at the other previously mentioned, affiliated brands.
- 6 points on your room rate at Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites.
When you reach Gold Elite status, you receive a 25% bonus on points for stays, thus earning:
- 12.5 points for every dollar spent on rooms and services at the previously mentioned, higher-end brands.
- 12.5 points for your room rate at the other previously mentioned, affiliated brands.
- 6.25 points on your room rate at Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites.
When you reach Platinum Elite status, you receive a 50% bonus on points:
- 15 points for every dollar spent on rooms and services at the previously mentioned, higher-end brands.
- 15 points for your room rate at the other previously mentioned, affiliated brands.
- 7.5 points on your room rate at Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites.
For Marriott Executive Apartments, you will earn 2.5 points per US dollar spent on room rate only and one elite night credit for every three nights stayed. You will earn 2.5 points per US dollar on all qualifying charges of the stay at ExecuStay and one elite night credit for every three nights. Elite membership benefits are not available at the above two hotel channels.
Keep in mind that in order to earn points, you must book your room through Marriott® direct booking channel, such as Marriott.com, ritzcarlton.com, 1-800-MARRIOTT, any Marriott hotels, Ritz-Carlton hotel or any participating Marriott brand channel, Marriott worldwide reservations centers. When you make a reservation, make sure to provide your membership number, and present your membership card during check-in.
Earn more Marriott points from rewards partners
Marriott Hotels has partnered with Hertz, CruisesOnly, ShopMyWay Mall, Flowers, Gifts & Wine Boutique, NRG Home Solar, EnergyPlus, Diners Club, The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Avios, Ctrip, Travelling Connect to offer you a way to earn more points.
For example, members can save up to 35% when using Marriott discount CDP 154080 every time you rent with Hertz. Plus, now through October 31, 2015, rent any car for two or more days at participating Hertz locations in the U.S., Canada, Europe, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Australia and New Zealand, you will earn 2,000 – 5,000 points.
Also, Chase Ultimate Rewards points can be transferred to Marriott Rewards points at full 1:1 value, that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 Marriott Rewards points. Chase Ultimate Rewards points can be accumulated with Chase Sapphire PreferredSM, Ink PlusSM, Ink BoldSM.
Earn extra points with Marriott Rewards® Premier Visa Card
You can earn extra rewards points for free nights and credits towards elite status on purchases made by the Marriott Rewards Premier credit card.
You will earn 15 credits toward Elite status after account opening and every year after account anniversary – Automatic silver status; Earn 1 Elite credit for every $3,000 spent on purchases; 1 free night stay every year after account anniversary (Category 1-5 hotels). This card charges no foreign transaction fees and no annual fee first year and $85 thereafter.
Earn free Marriott Rewards points by referring a friend
You can earn up to 50,000 bonus points each calendar year by referring friends & colleagues into the Refer A Friend program. You will earn 2,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points for each stay your referrals make beginning with their first paid stay, up to 5 stays per referral. You can refer up to 5 new members each calendar year. That’s 50,000 bonus points for you.
Your friends will also earn 2,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points beginning with their first paid stay, up to 5 stays. That’s 10,000 bonus points for them, in addition to the base points they’ll earn.
The Fine Print
While Marriott offers members so many ways to earn points, there are still a few thing you need to keep in mind:
- Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, and Priceline, are not eligible to earn Points or Miles.
- A limited number of the properties in Ritz-Carlton, JW Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Autograph Collection®, Residence Inn by Marriott, Marriott® Conference Centers, Protea Hotels do not participate in the Marriott Rewards program. Please refer to terms & conditions of the rewards program for details.
- Charges that do not qualify for points include taxes on room rate, purchase of Marriott or The Ritz-Carlton gift cards, charges for third party-provided goods and services, and banquet functions or catering charged to the guest room account.
- Points are limited to individual travel and the room must be paid for individually by the member or direct billed to the party responsible for paying the bill. If the room is master-billed, the charges are not eligible for Miles.
- Your points will expire in 24 months if there is no activities in your account. Read more: Don’t let your Marriott Rewards points expire.
Interested in Ritz-Carlton Rewards Program? Please read What is Ritz-Carlton rewards program?